University of Groningen is looking for an Assistant Professor in History of Art, Architecture, and Landscape (1.0 FTE). You may apply for this position until 29 April 11:59 pm / before 30 April 2021.
- has a basic understanding of the three distinct yet interconnected domains of the Department
- has practical and theoretical expertise in cultural heritage studies
- is enthusiastic about the specific qualities of the three domains
- is willing to participate in the different research centres the Department participates in, i.e. Arts in Society, Expertise Center Architecture, Urbanism and Health (a joint venture of the Faculty of Arts, the Faculty of Spatial Sciences, and the University Medical Center of Groningen), Center for Landscape Studies
- shares the philosophy underlying the ambitions to optimise interaction and cross fertilisation between these domains
- is willing to teach bachelor courses of the curriculum, in all three domains
- has in-depth knowledge of the art, architectural and landscape history of Europe, from the Middle Ages until the present time
- knows the professional vocabulary of in these fields in English and Dutch
- is willing to work with professionals from other Departments and Faculties, notably the Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies (which shares the responsibility for a joint minor programme), and the participants in the Expertise Center Architecture, Urbanism and Health: the Faculty of Spatial Sciences, and the University Medical Center of Groningen
- has reached the requirements of the University Teaching Qualification (BKO), or is willing to meet these requirements within two years.
The candidate will work in research, teaching (undergraduate and graduate courses, thesis advising), the preparing and accompanying excursions in the Netherlands and abroad, assistance in grant proposal writing, relevant administrative tasks. Education will comprise approximately 60% of the time.
- PhD in the field of art history, architectural and urban history and/or landscape history
- strong research profile and publication record appropriate to career stage
- record of high-quality teaching appropriate to career stage
- willingness to apply for relevant research grants
- some experience with administrative duties and/or departmental service and/or professional service is welcomed
- demonstrably good command of the English language (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking)
- expected to have or gain understanding of the Dutch language (CEFR B2 for reading and listening, and CEFR B1 for writing and speaking) within two years.